Of all churches in the colonial area of
Philadelphia, Old Pine (also called Third
Presbyterian) has bragging rights for a
disproportionately high number of Revolutionary
War participants. It was a hotbed of revolutionary
fervor and its pastor, Rev. George Duffield, was
chaplain to the Continental Congress. The
British took revenge by turning the church into a
stable and using the interior woodwork for
firewood during their occupancy.
The church itself dates from 1766 making it
among the oldest in Philadelphia, but it received
its current appearance in an 1837 and 1857
remodel which gave it its Greek revival exterior.
The interior was remodeled in 1867 & 1952. The
front is particularly grand with eight paired
Corinthian columns (octastyle). In its Georgian
configuration, there was a pedimented
frontispiece and with a Palladian window above.
The replacement door is in keeping with the
Greek revival style but the tall thin groupings of
four double hung windows with stained glass
lights are much more Victorian in feel, especially
with the corbeled overwindow decoration.
Corinthian pilasters continue around the two
sidewalls of the church.
Surrounding the church is one of the few
Colonial era church yards still in existence within
Old Pine Street Church c1766
This fine example of a Greek
revival church started life as a
Georgian building and was later
updated to be more fashionable.